debt collection letters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indebtforever
Contributor

7 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  11:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please help me with some information if possible. My IVA has been up and running for five months and at last there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

What is worrying me is that I still get letters from two debt collection companies for debts that I thought should be in the IVA as I definitely passed on the details to the IP.

What would happen if these debts had been missed by IP by accident? Wwould I have tto deal with them outside of IVA?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Mike Sloper
IVA Expert

107 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  12:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi indebtforever and welcome to the forum.

Don't worry, all of your unsecured debts that existed when the IVA passed five months ago are included in the IVA, even if they were missed by accident. The debts probably weren't missed though but have been sold on and the new agents haven't been informed of the IVA, so let your IP know and forward the letters to them and the debt collection agencies should stop contacting you. Let me know how you get on.

I am a Insolvency Practitioner handling IVA cases.
Go to Top of Page

indebtforever
Contributor

7 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2011 :  18:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is good news thank you as it has really worried me and will do that now. What do I do if they keep on writing to me after I tell IP?
Go to Top of Page

Beverley Budsworth
IVA Expert

311 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  10:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi indebtforever

Sometimes it does take a while for creditors to upd​ate their systems but if you inform your IP, they will contact your creditors on your behalf and inform them of your IVA and the terms of the arrangement.

I hope this helps; let us know how you get on.

I am an Insolvency Practitioner handling IVA cases. To contact me about starting a IVA please:   ???
Go to Top of Page

indebtforever
Contributor

7 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2011 :  18:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information again. Can I make complaints for harrassment etc if they keeps bothering me like this?
Go to Top of Page

Mike Sloper
IVA Expert

107 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  14:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again indebtforever,

Yes you could, although that would be a very extreme measure and because lawyers might get involved, very expensive! Much better to try and sort it out with the help of your IP before it gets to that stage. In all liklihood the calls and letters will stop fairly quickly.

Edited by - Mike Sloper on 03 Jun 2011 15:01:29
Go to Top of Page

indebtforever
Contributor

7 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2011 :  14:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Mike. Any idea how long this normally goes on for? Have I just been unlucky to get this hassle for so long?
Go to Top of Page

Mike Sloper
IVA Expert

107 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2011 :  11:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 months does seem quite a long time to be honest. Perhaps when you contact your IP, you could ask for a copy of the letter or fax they have sent to the debt collection agencies, just to be sure. If you're not confident that your IP is acting on your requests, you could also search on the Insolvency Register for your IVA reference number and give the debt collectors a call to let them know that reference. To find your IVA on the register, go to www.insolvency.gov.uk and click on 'Bankruptcy Search (including DRO & IVA)' and carry out an online search by name, choosing all courts from the dro​p down list. The reference number in your case details should be sufficient to prove that your IVA exists and the debt collectors can contact your IP directly.

Go to Top of Page

indebtforever
Contributor

7 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  13:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for your help Mike. I'm going to do that and hope that it works.
Go to Top of Page

IVA Adviser
IVA Expert

726 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2011 :  17:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please do let us know how you get on with this indebtforever. It will be useful for future visitors to know.

I am a professionally qualified debt adviser. To contact me about starting a IVA please:?      
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IVA Forum © 2011 - 2017 www.ivaadviceforum.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
IVA Advice Forum, 10 Bradenham Place, Penarth, CF64 2AG. Tel: 02920 435423.