Advice-ex partner had IVA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Granti80

4 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  07:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
My ex-partner had an IVA which is now complete. A joint unsecured loan was included (how much of I don't know).
My question really is should the amount of the loan included in the IVA be written off at the end or as it's joint do I remain liable for the whole amount. The mortgage statement shows the whole amount without any of the debt written off from the IVA.

IVA Adviser
IVA Expert

742 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  08:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Granti80.

I'm afraid this isn't going to be the answer that you're hoping for.

The debt is written off as far as your ex-partner is concerned, but you'll remain fully liable for the remaining balance on the account.

I am a professionally qualified debt adviser. To contact me about starting a IVA please:?      
Go to Top of Page

Granti80

4 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  09:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi IVA Advisor,
Thanks. I actually thought that was the case. My main concern is ensuring the amount included in the IVA is actually reflected on the outstanding balance by the loan company and how I go about ascertaining the amount is taken off the balance. Particularly if I do not have access to the completion certificate?
Go to Top of Page

IVA Adviser
IVA Expert

742 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  10:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Granti80.

If it were me I'd call the lender to ask whether they have received a dividend from the IVA and, if not, whether they expect to in due course.

I am a professionally qualified debt adviser. To contact me about starting a IVA please:?      
Go to Top of Page

Granti80

4 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  11:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IVA Adviser

Hi Granti80.

If it were me I'd call the lender to ask whether they have received a dividend from the IVA and, if not, whether they expect to in due course.

Go to Top of Page

Granti80

4 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  12:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

So I have contacted the mortgage company and the say that any dividend recieved has made little difference to the outstanding balance due to arrears and interest. I have raised a complaint, as I can't not understand how they can recieve payment twice via IVA and myself as the other party responsible. I thought that the amount included in the IVA agreement would be written off leaving an amount less that included in the IVA?
Sorry to go in but I don't understand.
Go to Top of Page

IVA Adviser
IVA Expert

742 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Granti80.

An amount of money wasn't written off in general terms by the IVA.

What was written off was your ex's liability to pay any more towards what was owed.

Whatever hasn't been paid remains owing, with the lender now only being able to chase you for it.

The IVA is likely to have made a payment towards the debt which might have helped to reduce it. It appears the lender is telling you that this IVA payment has been pretty much wiped out by the interest that they've continued to add.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IVA Forum © 2011 - 2017 www.ivaadviceforum.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
IVA Advice Forum, 10 Bradenham Place, Penarth, CF64 2AG. Tel: 02920 435423.