IVA Advice Forum
 will employer know about iva
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hrunner

4 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  09:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there i have amassed thousands in debts. It is mostly on credit cards with Egg, Barclaycard and MBNA the biggest. Do these credit cards accept iva cases?

The thing i am most worried about is my employer finding out if i do it. Dont think i will lose my job but it isnt a big office and i dont want the others to know about my personal affairs. Is your employer told about an iva. Do i have to tell them

Mike Sloper
IVA Expert

107 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  10:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi hrunner

Egg, Barclaycard and MBNA all regularly accept IVA proposals. A good IVA provider will be able to advise you on putting forward a proposal with the best chance of being accepted.

Unless you owe money to your employer, there is no reason to tell your employer about the IVA.

I am a Insolvency Practitioner handling IVA cases.

Edited by - Mike Sloper on 22 Mar 2011 10:29:13
Go to Top of Page

hrunner

4 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2011 :  12:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But can any of the credit card companies tell them about it?
Go to Top of Page

IVA Adviser
IVA Expert

734 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2011 :  12:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi hrunner

A credit card company or other creditor cannot gives your details to 3rd parties without your consent due to data protection laws, so this should not happen.

I am a professionally qualified debt adviser. To contact me about starting a IVA please:?      
Go to Top of Page

hrunner

4 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2011 :  15:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. What would happen if you had a work issued credit card. Would your employer find out then?
Go to Top of Page

Mike Sloper
IVA Expert

107 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  19:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the credit card is a company card and you are just a signatory, then it's not affected. If you have a card used for expenses and your employer pays it for you, then that can be explained in the proposal and excluded from the IVA.

I am a Insolvency Practitioner handling IVA cases.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley Budsworth
IVA Expert

311 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2011 :  08:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hrunner,

To add to the IVA Adviser and Mike's comments; in some cases, employers may also credit check their employees - this may notify your employer of your IVA. You will always have to give your consent for any credit check to be carried out but this is just something to be mindful of.

I am an Insolvency Practitioner handling IVA cases. To contact me about starting a IVA please:   ???
Go to Top of Page

hrunner

4 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  15:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again. Luckily we dont have to get credit checked so should not be a problem and no-one should find out here.

Are there many jobs where you do get credit checked? I hadn't really heard of that before. It's not an issue for me today but you never know if you might need another job especially as things are right now. I wouldn't want an IVA to get in the way if it came to that.
Go to Top of Page

IVA Adviser
IVA Expert

734 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2011 :  17:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi hrunner.

It's not common at all, though it will apply to a few occupations that require a degree of vetting or clearance.

I am a professionally qualified debt adviser. To contact me about starting a IVA please:?      
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IVA Forum © 2011 - 2017 www.ivaadviceforum.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
IVA Advice Forum, 10 Bradenham Place, Penarth, CF64 2AG. Tel: 02920 435423.