IVA or BR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

potatohead

3 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  18:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am 38 with a good job earning around 30k a year. I have around £42k worth of personal, unsecured debt, and an additional 18k owing to my mum.
I am struggling to make payments, using credit to pay credit. I have no assets (other than a car worth about 2k which I need for my job which is driving based)
I will have about £250 surplus to pay creditors in either an IVA or IPA.
My main issue is I need to pay my mum back regulary so an IVA seems the only option where I can do that. I owe her about 16k and the IVA budget shet suggests around £100 a month might be accepted for that debt level.
Also, I would have occasional overtime which seems like it might relieve the pressure a bit, whereas in an IPA from BR, all this would be swallowed..
However, my job isnít 100% secure and if the IVA fails then...

Any thoughts? Just thought I may have missed something here.

Thanks

potatohead

3 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2018 :  18:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, will the IP allow payments to a family member each month or at the end of the 5 years?
Go to Top of Page

IVA Adviser
IVA Expert

767 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2018 :  09:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again potatohead.

I'm afraid that your mum would receive no special treatment in an IVA.

Your contribution is based upon your total income minus your reasonable expenditure.

Repayments to your mum would not be seen as being additional reasonable expenditure usually. It's technically just a debt repayment, no different to paying back a credit card or overdraft.

So (based upon my answer to your other question) an increase in income after the IVA begins might create some additional ability to make repayments to your mother. Otherwise, you may simply not be able to afford to make regular significant repayments to her.

I am a professionally qualified debt adviser. To contact me about starting a IVA please:?Š      
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IVA Forum © 2011 - 2018 www.ivaadviceforum.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
IVA Advice Forum, Cardiff House, Priority Business Park, Barry, CF63 2AW. Tel: 02920 435423.